Between 1999 and 2007, Michael Mercadante worked as a Research Associate in the traffic safety industry. During this time, he contributed in various ways to several published works, including:
- 2008: Consultant (Video Systems Specialist), A Pilot Study to Test Multiple Medication Usage and Driving Functioning. NHTSA Report No. DOT HS 810 980
- 2006: (Contributing Author, Illustrations, Photography.) The Pennsylvania Driver’s Manual. PennDOT Pub 95 (9-06).
- 2003: Stutts, J.; Feaganes, J.; Rodgman, E.; Hamlett, C.; Reinfurt, D.; Gish, K.; Mercadante, M.; Staplin, L. The Causes and Consequences of Distraction in Everyday Driving. Annual Proceedings, Association for the Advancement of Automotive Medicine. 2003; 47: 235–251.
- 2003: Contributing Author, Distractions in Everyday Driving (AAA Foundation for Traffic Safety)
- 2001: Gish, K., Mercadante, M. (06/2001). The Effect of False Forward Collision Warnings on Driver Responses. Delivered at the 81st Annual Meeting of the Transportation Research Board, National Academies of Science, Engineering and Medicine, Washington, D.C., 2002. U.S.DOT/NHTSA Publication No. DOT-HS-809-418. Washington, D.C.